Thursday, December 27, 2018

LEMON HERB CORNISH HEN WITH CAULIFLOWER MASH AND BAKED ZUCCHINI


Today has been a long tiring day even though i don't feel like i did whole lot. I was woken up early this morning to my 2 barking dogs after going to bed super late (was up baking all night). I went for my daily run to to the gym down the hill we live on, which is normally cool, except it was pouring down rain. Thank goodness im used to doing all things in the rain being from Washington and all. I do have to say it beat running in 95 degree weather. By the time i got to the gym i was soaking wet. No biggie i brought extra clothes. I worked out for a bit at the gym before going to have coffee with some new friends. Then walked to the grocery store to get the few things i needed for dinner. While waiting for the husband to pick me up i kept getting attacked by bees. Thankfully i have yet to be stung by one. Anyways i came home and started the cooking right away for dinner.
 I decide a few days ago i wanted "little baby chickens" as i like to call them. I do know they are called cornish hens i just call them little baby chickens because that's exactly what they look like heehee. I decided on Lemon Herb for the seasoning and it was so good. I love making these because they are super easy to make and super cheap. I bought 2 one for each of us and its like 6 dollars. Cant beat that.
 For the sides i chose cauliflower mash because its healthy and yummy and then baked zucchini because its my favorite. We also had a side salad, i know lots of veggies on the menu tonight. I love me some veggies though not big on fruit but veggies i can eat tons of them. Needles to say dinner was perfect tonight my husband definitely loved it all.
 Well here's the recipes for it all. Enjoy!

Lemon Herb Cornish Hen Recipe

Ingredients:

2 Cornish Hens (rinsed well and patted dry)
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 lemons
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
3 TBS unsalted butter melted
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the hens in a roasting pan. Place 2 thyme sprigs and 1 lemon half in the cavity of each hen. Loosen the skin from the breast and stuff with thyme and parsley. Squeeze remaining lemon juice on the hens. Brush melted butter all over the hens. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast hens rotating pan halfway through. I set the timer for 25 minutes then turned the pan. Set the time for another 25 minutes then pull them out of the oven and check the temp, inserting the thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh, it should read 180 degrees. Total cooking time about 45-50 minutes. The skin will be a nice golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cauliflower Mash Recipe

Ingredients:

1 medium head of cauliflower cut up
butter to taste
cheddar cheese
heavy cream or milk

Directions:

You make these pretty much like you would make mashed potatoes. I didn't put exact measurements for this because it depends on how thick or thin you want yours to be.
 Boil cauliflower until soft. Put into food processor or blender if you don't have a food processor. Add butter and cream/milk. Then blend to your liking constancy wise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baked Zucchini

Ingredients:

2 TBS Olive oil
1 tsp or to taste old bay seasoning
1 medium Zucchini Cut up in wedges

Directions:

Set your oven to broil. Mix the olive oil and old bay seasoning in a bowl. Toss the Zucchini in mixture. Bake for about 10 to 15 min. or until the zucchini has softened and browned some.

You can also add other seasonings to the oil. I sometimes use Seasoning Salt or add pepper flakes if you want a little spice to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spinach Chicken with Cream Cheese and Mozarella

Heyyyy!!! I've been a busy bee, between work and school I barely have a life and for sure not very much time to cook. I usually try to ...